The Genetic Counselors and You series turns complex genetics into information you can use for your personal healthcare.
The Genetic Counselors and You series is now available as a podcast - subscribe by searching for "Genetic Counselors and You" in iTunes, Spotify and Google Play Music
- Demystifying Insurance to Unlock Genetic Counseling and Genetic Testing Opportunities | November, 2020 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
In honor of Genetic Counselor Awareness Day, we hope this episode helps you learn new ways to access genetic counseling services as we tackle a complex topic with an expert genetic counselor. Health insurance can be complex. How do you know if something is or isn’t covered in your plan? And what if you don’t have insurance? This can make decisions about your health, which may include genetic testing and genetic counseling, even harder to figure out. It might make some of us avoid genetic testing or genetic counseling altogether, if we have a choice. But is that the right thing to do? In this episode, we speak to Heather L. Shappell, MS, CGC, a genetic counselor with expertise in this area, to help demystify insurance as it pertains to genetic testing and genetic counseling.
For more information on the topics discussed in this episode, visit aboutgeneticcounselors.org and the following webpages:
- Addressing Systemic Racism and Disparities in Genetic Testing | September, 2020 | Listen to the Episode | Transcript coming soon!
During this global pandemic, social inequities and health disparities are being exposed and discussed more than ever. For some, it’s the first time we’ve talked about social justice or systemic racism in healthcare. For others, we’ve felt their effects for some time. These inequities and disparities also exist within the genetic testing experience. In this episode, we speak to expert researcher and genetic counselor, Altovise T. Ewing, PhD, LCGC, to raise awareness of these issues for people having genetic testing, so they can better navigate them. We also suggest ways that genetic testing developers, marketers, and medical professionals can be aware of and work to dismantle these inequities.
For more information on the topics discussed in this episode, visit aboutgeneticcounselors.com and the following resources:
- The "Uncertainty" of Genetic Testing? | June, 2020 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
There are many things we know when it comes to genetics and health. There’s also much we don’t know, which is to be expected with fast-moving science. Genetic testing can bring out this uncertainty when results aren’t as clear as we’d hoped. And when you layer in a global pandemic that has many unknowns, this can get really difficult. In this episode, our host, Deepti Babu, MS, CGC sits down with Marleah Dean Kruzel, PhD to offer listeners ways to navigate uncertainty when it comes to genetics and genetic testing. For more information on the topics discussed in this episode, visit aboutgeneticcounselors.com and the following webpages:
- How Secure is Your DNA with At-Home Genetic Tests? | April, 2020 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
At-home DNA tests are popular, but some direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies have cut their workforce following a slowdown in sales. Is the tide changing? If so, why? In this episode, our host, Deepti Babu, MS, CGC sits down with Dawn Barry, president and co-founder of B Corp, LunaPBC, who launched LunaDNA, a community-owned platform for health research. Deepti and Dawn talk through growing consumer concerns with the privacy and security of their genetic information. For more on the topics discussed in today’s episode, visit the following webpages:
- How to Make the Most of Your DNA Test Holiday Gift | February, 2020 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
At-home DNA tests are a popular gift, especially during the holidays. Did you receive one, by surprise or because it was on your wish list, and now you’re wondering how to take advantage of it? This episode discusses how to make the most of your DNA test holiday gift. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month | October 18, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the National Society of Genetic Counselors and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention want to help women learn the steps they can take – like genetic testing and genetic counseling – to understand their risk for breast and ovarian cancer. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- What Genetic Counselors Don't Do | August 26, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
In episode three of the Genetic Counselors and You podcast series -we're myth-busting! What does the “counseling” in “genetic counseling” really mean? Do genetic counselors tell you how to make medical decisions? Do genetic counselors have all the answers? How precise is precision medicine? For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- Genetic Counselors and Your Healthcare Team | May 31, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
This episode discusses how genetic counselors play an active role in patient care and how they work with other healthcare providers. The episode also emphasizes how genetic counselors’ special training in genetics and counseling sets them apart from other healthcare providers. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- Who are Genetic Counselors? | March 16, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
The first episode of the Genetic Counselor and You series discusses who genetic counselors are, why you might see one, what genetic counselors do and don't do, and the benefits of integrating a genetic counselor into your healthcare team. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
You can also check out our archive of Genetic Counselors and You webinars to go deeper into everything from genetics’ role in fertility to ancestry testing.
- Is Fertility Preservation an Option for You? | View Recording
- Is Your Genetic Privacy Protected? | View Recording
- The Future of At-Home Genetic Testing | View Recording
- How Genetics Affects Infertility | View Recording
- Mental Illness and Genetics: Family History, and Protecting Your Mental Health | View Recording
- Rare Disease: What Role Do Genetics Play? | View Recording
- My Risk for Alzheimer’s Disease: Is the Answer in My Genes? | View Recording
- Taking Heredity to Heart: The Role of Genetics in Cardiovascular Disease | View Recording
- Ancestry and Other Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing: What to Consider Before Mailing that DNA | View Recording
- Genetic Testing and Pregnancy: A Genetic Counselor Guides You Through Your Testing Options | View Recording
- Cancer and Family History: Information You Need to Assess Your Risk | View Recording
For questions or concerns, please contact the National Society of Genetic Counselors at firstname.lastname@example.org